Monday, November 23, 2009

knock knock!

If you have a toddler in your home, this is the perfect time to teach them to knock on closed doors. A wonderful thing about toddlers is that they like to copy what you do. So start knocking.

Knock on the front door when you come home before getting out your key.

Knock on their bedroom door before you take them in for naptime / nighttime

Knock on the bathroom door before bath time

Especially teach your toddler to knock on mommy and daddy’s door – on ALL bedroom doors

And keep playing and practicing and let’s hope this good habit will last a lifetime!!

9 comments:

  1. Haha, if only.

    I pray your children catch on to that one soon enough and that you score even 5 seconds of a grace period before the door is flung open.

    That's what I used to do. Knock and walk right in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I should have thought of that. Nice idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 15 and 20 yo daughters and I am still trying to impress on them to knock before they come in our bedroom. alone or not I don't like surprises.

    Great tip

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank God I don't have that problem!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. BTW, You'll probably want to teach your kids to knock on the pantry door too!! He he he!!

    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I had thought of that when my kids were little. They're grown now but still barge right in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very good idea, I was doing pretty good because she couldn't open our doors but now she can so I better start on this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right, I think we should modify the game a bit for all the toddlers of the future.

    First, teach to knock.

    Then teach that "Come in" must be spoken before the door opens.

    And then teach "Wait!" means to step back AWAY FROM THE DOOR!!!

    What a wonderful world it would be....

    ReplyDelete